Concussion Coach is a mobile app for veterans, service members and others who have symptoms of a concussion or mild-to-moderate traumatic brain injury (TBI). This app is intended to support face-to-face treatment with a health provider and provides portable, convenient tools for the patient to assess symptoms and cope with TBI‐related problems. It is not intended to replace professional diagnosis, medical treatment, or rehabilitation therapies.
Download Concussion Coach for iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch
These injuries include any blow to the head that results in a change in perception, loss of consciousness or a loss of memory for the events right after the injury. They often come with emotional challenges (such as getting angry more easily), physical problems (such as headaches, balance problems, and dizziness) and cognitive issues (such as concentration or memory problems). Every patient is different. They may appear to be fully functional with only a few very specific problems that an outside observer may not notice, or they may have significant challenges that are apparent to strangers.
Concussion Coach is available for Apple mobile devices (iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch) and will be available for Android phones and tablets in 2014.
Features of the app include:
- Tools and relaxation exercises for managing symptoms associated with concussion and TBI.
- Educational materials about symptoms of concussion and TBI and treatment options.
- A self‐assessment tool for measuring symptoms of brain injury (such as feeling dizzy, or having balance problems or headaches) with feedback and a graph for tracking symptoms over time.
- Immediate access to crisis resources, personal support contacts and professional mental health care.
Concussion Coach is a collaborative effort between:
- VA Rehabilitation and Prosthetic Services
- VA National Center for PTSD
- DCoE National Center for Telehealth & Technology (T2)